So much of our inability to maintain weight loss is because we follow a diet plan for a few weeks, months or even longer but then start to feel deprived and restricted. The feelings of deprivation and restriction are just that – FEELINGS that we ourselves create with our beliefs and thoughts. But, I want to share with you a secret of sustainable weight loss: focus your thoughts and actions on ADDING not subtracting. If you focus on adding it brings a feeling of abundance, satisfaction. If you focus on subtracting (I can’t eat this, I want to but I can’t, I’m removing this or removing that) you feel are more likely deprived and restricted.
It’s all about mindfulness
Notice when feelings of deprivation come up and stop and remind yourself you can feel abundant instead of deprived then decide to intentionally add something.
Some things to add to bring a feeling abundance
- Drink more water – aim for 50% of your body weight in ounces (ex. a 150 lb person would aim to drink 75 oz.)
- Eat more non-starchy veggies (broccoli, asparagus, kale, collards, leafy green lettuces, etc.)
- Make your foods look more beautiful…add lots of color to your plate with radishes, tomatoes, carrots, etc. and serve your foods on beautiful plates
- Add more movement to your day (notice I say “movement” not exercise)
- Spend more time outdoors – even just 10 minutes per day is beneficial
- Spend some time each day doing an activity that sparks joy
- Add a gratitude practice (I know this is very popular right now but it is very useful) – ask yourself: what are 3 things or people that you are grateful for right now?
- Add a meditation practice
What are you doing in your life to bring a feeling of abundance? I’d love to know!
Do you want to learn more about managing hunger and cravings without feeling deprived?
I work with women just like you to help them define their health and weight loss goals and stay accountable so their dreams can come true! Sign up for a FREE 20-minute consultation to learn more about working with me. I have been 100% successful with my clients who follow my plan. So…are you ready to make your dreams come true?
About me: I am a functional and integrative Physician Assistant and Certified Nutrition Coach. And I am a working mom who had her own mid-life weight loss journey. I finally figured it out and I want to share my strategies with other woman. I help women maintain weight loss with a nutrition plan and weight loss coaching them and guide them in learning to eat in sync with their body’s innate patterns to bring them to their natural weight.